In Memory of Capt. Paul Richeson Glanville

By Scott Bannerot (his nephew, son of Palmer Bannerot and Betty Ann Bannerot, his sister)

Paul Richeson Glanville passed away at his home in Nelson, Georgia the evening of Sunday December 13, 2020, peacefully and comfortably, with his wife Norma Glanville holding his hand. He is survived by Norma, his children Shelby Glanville, Chelsea Glanville-Horowitz, and Tracy Glanville-Tulp; his grandchildren Hunter Glanville, Adrian Glanville-Horowitz, and Jack Glanville-Horowitz; his nieces Jill Hanrahan, Jody Wolf, Lorin Cook, Leslie Leopold, and Lynn Kohr; his nephews Scott Bannerot, Jack Glanville, Steve Bannerot, and Mark Glanville; his great nieces Juliet Bannerot, Olivia Fults, Sage Kohr, Cedar Kohr, Annie Hagen, and Ellie Leopold; his great nephews Ryan Bannerot, Simon Bannerot, Stratton Kohr, Sam Glanville, and John Glanville; his great great nephew Ben Hagen; and his sister Elizabeth Ann Bannerot. Paul’s parents were John Turner Glanville Sr. (February 28, 1912 to September 12, 1960) and Elizabeth Ann Leonhard (October 9, 1911 to March 14, 1977). His brothers were John Turner Glanville Jr. (March 18, 1934 to June 13, 1966) and Orin Leonhard Glanville (May 10, 1941 to January 28, 1974). His sister Betty Ann was born November 6, 1937. Paul Richeson Glanville was born on Ground Hog’s Day, February 2, 1949 in Morristown, New Jersey. His first name was after his father’s brother, Paul Glanville. His middle name is after the maiden name of his great grandmother Eleanor Richeson. The family lived on a 45 acre farm outside of town. Paul’s dad had an overnight office cleaning service in New York City. At the age of 8, in the summer of 1957, the family moved to Clearwater, Florida, switching from the cleaning business to hearing aid sales. Paul’s father died after a car accident when he was 12, making him the man of the house. He attended Clearwater Junior High School and Dunedin High School in Clearwater, did play some football at Dunedin (linebacker), but concentrated more on working a variety of jobs to support him and his mother. He worked at a Go Kart track, for a Bonanza Steak House, and for a race car mechanical shop. Upon graduation from high school Paul moved in with our family in Houston, Texas, and attended the University of Houston, majoring in economics. Paul and I shared a bedroom, and I have always looked up to him as my older brother rather than an uncle. As in high school, while attending UH Paul was working long hours, at Memorial City Gulf, a gas station with a strong auto repair shop business not far from our house. The Vietnam War was in full swing. When Paul took a semester off from UH, he was drafted by the U.S. Army. He served from November 1969 to April 1971, receiving a Certificate of Achievement from the 8 th Infantry Division, United States Army Europe. He served as the personal driver for Colonel Mark Browne, Jr. and received a strong letter of commendation on April 2, 1971 as he chose to return to civilian life rather than remain in the active Army. Paul achieved the rank of Sergeant by the time his service ended. This carried on a tradition of service in the family, as his oldest brother John flew RA3B Skywarriors, U.S. Navy Heavy Photo Squadron 61, off the aircraft carrier USS Hancock and was killed in action over North Vietnam, and his next oldest brother Orin served in the U.S. Air Force as an elite Air Commando, completing two tours in Vietnam and serving as an instructor for the Jungle Warfare School in Panama. No doubt the fact that Paul had married and become a father while in the Army influenced his decision to return to civilian life. He returned to Houston and accepted an offer of half ownership in Memorial City Gulf and managed the business extremely successfully. I worked for him there in the summer of 1976, living with his family, and personally witnessed the number of vehicles streaming through for topnotch service and repairs. While accomplishing all of that, he managed to simultaneously complete his Bachelors Degree in Economics from University of Houston. Paul through his years in Houston moved on to bigger and better things, managing a successful drive-thru called Beverage Barn, and becoming involved in a number of other endeavors. Eventually Paul and Norma accepted an offer to manage Kon Tiki Resort, in Islamorada, Florida Keys. After 7 years of stellar service, during which time Paul simultaneously completed his United States Coast Guard Captain’s License and learned every square inch of the very intricate Florida Bay and Everglades complex, Paul and Norma moved on from Kon Tiki. Paul became an independent fishing guide, they together managed local properties, and Norma earned her realtor’s license and became a very successful real estate agent. After years of success in the Florida Keys Paul and Norma took a vacation that exposed them to northern Georgia. They bought a property and had plans to someday build there. At this point Paul pursued various business endeavors in Georgia, earned a commercial trucker’s license and drove 18 wheelers, and successfully managed a liquor store in Jasper. Meanwhile Norma held down the fort on enterprises in the Florida Keys, helped her sister when she fell seriously ill in Arizona, and of course spent time with Paul in Georgia. They took an extended trip into the Blue Ridge Mountains in November 2019 to see the fall leaf color change. They spent every moment together during Paul’s last months. I had the privilege of knowing Paul all of my life. He was loyal, honest, hard working, extremely intelligent, humorous, and courageous, and a true patriot of the U.S.A. He always thought of others first. I have many fond memories of our experiences together, and I will never forget how wonderful it was when Norma came into his life. Her unconditional love and dedication throughout, and particularly during Paul’s last months, will never be forgotten. Nor will Paul’s amazing resilience: sharp, alert, and cracking jokes right up until the end. His primary concern was not to burden or stress anyone in the family, or any of his friends. Lastly, Paul, we love you, forever.

send flowers